Thursday, March 3, 2011

emily - newborn session

i had one of those neat, full-circle kind of moments when i went out to shoot emily's newborn pictures earlier this week.  as i was chatting it up and clicking away, emily's mom reminded me that she was working for my husband, josh, when i started frantically calling his cell phone on the afternoon of november 11, 2004 to let him know that my water had just broken.  i was in labor.

the story of my first baby girl while i was shooting photographs of her first baby girl.  blessings.

i'm sometimes asked what my plan is or what steps i take in shooting newborn sessions.  while it's true that i've got a handful of absolutes (heating pad, space heater, warm hands, etc.), my plan beyond that is virtually non-existent.  the baby leads - i follow.  so i suppose it's pretty much just a two-step process.  i'm a big fan of shooting this way, and some of my favorite photographs come out of natural interactions between a baby and her family.

2
3

during the downtime, i try to get a few photos that i like to call "baby parts".  these, too, end up being some of the sweetest shots from newborn sessions.

5
1
6

emily was a dream to work with, and she made my job incredibly easy.  she said, how about i lay here awake and happy with my gorgeous eyes showing.  then i'll give you a darling yawn and doze on off.  will that work?

4
8

wes and beth, you've been blessed beyond measure with precious emily, and i'm so appreciative to you for letting me spend the afternoon with your new family of three.  congrats!!!!!!!!!

7

3 comments:

The Taylors said...

#1: wow, that's a lot of beautiful hair on a newborn and #2 this makes me all giddy and anxious!

Unknown said...

You are so talented! The pictures of Emily are more beautiful that I imagined they would be. Thank you so much! We loved having you come out and take the pictures!!

Anna said...

yup. i officially have baby fever again and our twins arent even a year old. these are gorgeous!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP