Tuesday, May 31, 2011

baby briggs - born TODAY

the goal was to make it to 37 weeks pregnant. and after a long stint on bed rest and medication, iris was thrilled to hear from her doctor this morning at her appointment that it was safe to come off the medication, and she could resume some normal activity.  iris called to let me know about her appointment, so i was surprised when my cell phone rang again a couple of hours later with her number. 

hey allison - it's me again. i think my water just broke.

i had clients driving in for a session this afternoon, and after several phone calls back and forth between each of them, the out-of-town clients graciously agreed to come in early so i could get to the hospital in plenty of time for the delivery.  i mean, when you're talking about a first baby, you've got all the time in the world, right?? 

1

i shot my last picture with the sweet family, booked it to the hospital, and arrived at iris' door a sweaty mess after the toasty outdoor session.  knock knock.  nothing.  louder knock knock.  a nurse peeked her head out but before i could say anything, she said oh, i'm sorry.  you'll need to go to the waiting room for a bit.  she's delivering right now.

WHAT?!?

my next 90 seconds looked a little something like this:  i told the nurse what i was there for, iris told her to let me in, i threw a lens on my camera, and i shot away as sweet baby briggs took his first breath of life outside of his mommy's belly.

8

oh, and then i introduced myself to iris and justin.  

that's right...before i shot her delivery, we had never met one another.  iris saw the photos i did of baby breck's delivery last week and wanted to have the same documentation of her baby's birthday, so we chatted by email several times and then by phone today.  but i didn't meet the proud parents until tonight when they were holding their perfect baby for the first time.

7
12

justin seemed pretty jazzed about his son...

6
5
11

but there is one photo that confirmed it.  this is one proud daddy...

10

can i just brag on my new friend, iris, here for a second??  this gal had a lightning fast, natural delivery of her chunky little babe and was showered, dressed, and up and going before i left tonight.  she's a rock star!

9
14

iris and justin, what a joy - albeit it a fast and unexpected joy - to join you tonight for your precious son's birth.  you've been richly blessed!!

13

4 comments:

Holly said...

Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful...I'm grabbing a Kleenex now. Congratulations!

The Taylors said...

These beautiful photos make me want to do it all over again! Congratulations, Justin and Iris are going to be amazing parents. Al, I'm shocked you made it but so glad you were able to capture such a precious day.

shelia said...

I've never seen pictures like these. That last picture alone was worth however sweaty and icky you were. I'm sniffling like I've just watched a Hallmark commercial. To see that baby 'fresh' and healthy - thanks for sharing some amazing pictures.

The Poland's said...

I tear up everytime I look at these pics. Allison you truly have a gift of capturing moments in time that we will cherish forever.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP